All my spoons are in all the right places, if you know what I'm talkin' about...
Wheaton College, a conservative Christian college requires it’s students to attend these chapel messages. As a private religious school, they’re entitled to that. But, one of the more recent chapel messages dealt with sex and sexuality. At this meet, a former student of the college who is also gay spoke. And he told the students that while being gay was not a choice of their own, that it was a sign that they are broken, in need of redemption, and that anyone who is gay is to never break celibacy.
This person went on to share that in his 30’s, he is depressed and lonely due to the fact that he has chosen life-long celibacy, and that he constantly aches for a partner. And he is proud of himself, because he thinks his suffering will lead him to Christ.
In response to this message, an LGBTQ-straight alliance group comprised of Wheaton College alumni wrote a letter back to the students currently attending the college. The letter essentially said, “Hey, don’t worry about that garbage. You’re a person deserving of love just like anyone else.”
So the college writes a response to the letter from the LGBTQ community. And here’s the kicker…they state that they recognize that people are people no matter what they’re sexual orientation…But that they take pity on members of the LGBTQ community because they will have to stay celibate for life in order to be with God. The letter reinforces that being gay is a sin and a sign that we are broken.
And everyone is proud of the college! People generally see this as a step in the right direction! Really? You think I need to pat Christians on the back for finally admitting that gays are people who don’t deserve to be beat to death? No, this is 2011. If you still think that being gay is anything but normal, natural and worthy of equality, then you are the one that is broken.
So I’ve been on Tumblr just about a month and a half now, and I’ve posted…a lot. So I was thinking, maybe once a month I’ll post a highlight. Sift through some of the sillier posts and compile all the major things I talked about the last 30 days. So this will be my first one of those.
FIRST I wanna remind you all to KEEP SENDING ME STORIES! I have some great ones in my ASK and reply boxes already, but I want this to be as collaborative as possible!
1. Spoon Theory Garbage: Why I think we need a more positive story in our community, and why I don’t think Spoon Theory is healthy.
2. Depression and Anxiety: The importance of paying attention to your feelings and taking care of your mental health.
3. Benlysta, the new Lupus drug: A good link about the drug, and my thoughts on the positivity of its development.
4. Lady Gaga does NOT have Lupus: The media used her story to spread misconceptions and sometimes blatant lies about what Lupus is.
8. A tool to detect UV intensity, thanks to Thinkgeek.com
9. Dating and Lupus: My advice to anyone with Chronic Illness regarding dating and life!
10. STATISTICS: A compilation of all the scattered Lupus-related statistics out there, neatly packaged so you can know your stuff and spread awareness!
11. What causes Lupus?: All the controversies explained from my point of view.
13: LGBT, domestic violence, rape, chronic illness, sexism, mental illness, racism: Holy Hell people, we need to stick together